Saturday, June 23, 2007

“It is not the ending we need but the beginning”

It worries me sometimes that we are going back in time, instead of forward. Because, for instance, I want to know about the relationship between Nick and Klara, and give that woman a chance of becoming interesting and smart, and get more information that allows me to put together the Nick of the first chapters and this new Nick that killed a man and stuff, but I also want to know what happens with ((Marian + Brian) + Nick) and we are already way too back in time for that, aren’t we?

I am not the only one obsessed with plastics. I can’t believe he used “polymerized hairpiece” for a toupee.

I love the episode with that woman, Donna. All the conversation about what sex is, and if it has to be kept secret and if it makes educated and uneducated people equal, poor and rich (like death). And Marian crying, that was sweet. T, do identify with Nick more or less than before? With the lontananza thing? With the “You withhold the deepest things from those who are closest and then talk to a stranger in a numbered room”? A stranger in a numbered room.

A part of a poem by San Juan de la Cruz, translated into English by someone

Upon an obscure night
Fevered with love in love's anxiety
(O hapless-happy plight!),
I went, none seeing me,
Forth from my house where all things be.


Much more beautiful in Spanish though. Con ansias en amores inflamada = fevered with love in love’s anxiety… it looses much of the musicality.

En una noche oscura,
con ansias en amores inflamada,
(¡oh dichosa ventura!)
salí sin ser notada,
estando ya mi casa sosegada.


Read it anyway, here.

off topic: I will try to keep up with the reading but i am pretty sure that i won't be able to post next week because i am busy, busy, busy. I miss Eric. I hope that he is fine.

1 comment:

BK said...

San Jaun De La Cruz was influential to a younger me, though I know him by a different name.